RPI4 with MDEK1001 kit possible for building gateways?

I’m at the point where I need to set up multiple rooms, which means needing to sync data from multiple listeners. Instead of listeners, though, it sounds like I’m supposed to set up gateways that are able to share tag data over a network.

The problem I’m running into, though, is that the gateways seem to require raspberry pi 3s, which I can’t find anywhere, so all I have are rpi4s. I have a DWM1001 module connected to the GPIO headers on my RPI4 and I’ve been trying to connect to it over serial, with tio, to access the UART shell. So far, I haven’t been able to get it to work, though.

Anyone able to set up a gateway using the mdek1001 kit and a device OTHER than an rpi3? Getting this gateway stuff resolved is the last big part of the hardware I’m struggling with, so any guidance would be super appreciated!

UPDATE
Well, managed to get access to the UART shell through the GPIO headers! So, that’s good - but still not sure the best way to go about actually streaming this tag data. I guess I could start up the ‘les’ command and somehow get it to write that data to a shared database on a network?

Hi @JonathanBowman
unfortunately the MDEK gateways can run only on Raspberry PI 3B. Any newer / older ones are not supported. Long story short: Ethernet Gbit interface generates soo many interrupts to Linux kernel so it is not possible anymore to maintain needed precise timing for communication over SPI.

Cheers
JK

Bummer, that makes sense though. I think I can make it work anyways, though, by reading the data from the UART les stream and saving them to a database, as long as I can have multiple in passive listener mode on the same network.

Hi @JonathanBowman
yes that is possible. You can connect couple listeners to RPI’s and parse their output. But you will only get TN locations but not IOT data.

Cheers
JK

Oh interesting - I guess I don’t know the difference.

If I’m only concerned with tracking and storing the precise locations of tags throughout the day, and being able to display their positions over time later, pulled from the database, then all I need is the TN location data, right? Just tag ID and x/y/z position within the local space?

Is ‘IOT data’ in this context data being sent to the tags/anchors perhaps? @leapslabs

Hi @JonathanBowman
there are “two” data types that user can use:

1. Location data - from your description this what you need. Tag is reporting its position.

2. IoT data/configuration. When the bridge is available the user can send/receive some small chunk of data via UWB to bridge/MQTT. Via this channel it is possible to to observe/change node configuration.

In every super frame / ranging slot the node can send only IoT data or Location data.
Cheers
JK

Hi Jonathan, I have the same situation with your. Can I get contact with you?

How would one go about doing that?

Just connecting to the tag via serial connection, configuring it as a beacon with nmb command and then using the les command does not work (as in nothing happens).

I was hoping it would work just like configuring it to a tag (nmt) and then giving it the les command, which works right away (on the same tag).

What steps am I missing?