The limit of anchors number

Hello,We have encountered some restrictions on the use of your DWM1001module chip with a maximum of 16 anchors. I have also seen the describe:" Maximum number of anchor seats is 16" in the documents of “DWM1001_System_Overview”.we have place 75 anchors and 22 listeners at the 56m long and 17m wide floors. I know this looks very surprising, it seems a bit unreasonable, but because this area is not an open area, but the concrete wall was divided into 22 rooms, if not each three anchors are arranged in the room, the positioning effect cannot be achieved in the room, so we did so, but due to the large number of anchors,only one initlator cannot satisfy this effect, and when multiple initlators, Time synchronization and re-initialization often occur between the anthor, which may still result in situations where some rooms cannot be located. I heard that the concept of anthors grouping will be introduced in release 2 of your upcoming release. This is whether or not the grouping will be helpful for this situation that I have. What should I do now? Hope to receive your reply.

1 Like

Note:

1. if you want one network - then you must have just one initiator,

2. a max of 16 anchors can exist in any one area… if you have > 16 and all of them are within range (i.e. if one anchor can hear other 16, then you cannot add any more near that one anchor)

Do you really need 3 anchors per room? You need to study the space some more and check how far the anchors can be placed from each other. Release 2 will not help you, the anchors still need to hear each other and be on the same network.

I would start in one corner and scale the system by adding one room at the time and checking if the new anchors have been added correctly and at the same time checking if tag can be located around the whole space, by testing at various positions.

Hello, glad to see your reply;

We have already installed the anchors. We did not pay attention to the limitations of the 16 anchors before. If 16 anchors is installed in such a complex space, it would not achieve the desired positioning effect. In this case, we have been thinking for two months and have not found a good solution. We want to know if we can isolate the device by modifying the program. For example, grouping (similar to dividing the anchors and labels into different networks on the smart device APP), grouping every 16th, there is an initiator in each group, no communication between each group, and tags are public groups. The public group can communicate with each group’s anchor at the same time. In this case, we can divide the anchors into several groups to solve this problem. Could you help us modify the program and establish a grouping mechanism to achieve this effect? We Think this is the perfect solution. we think that in the complex positioning space, this grouping mechanism is more practical and reasonable.

There is also a way to modify the limit of the maximum 16 anchors to a little more, such as 32 or 64, etc. This can also solve the problem we have here. Could you help us to modify this restriction. Hope to receive your reply.

Thank you,
Regards
Wheeler

Dear Wheeler,

if you want to use PANS FW then you cannot modify the way it works, you need to follow the installation guidelines. If this cannot work in your installations, then you may have to design own solution.

I would just go back and check again and see if it is possible to install PANS system in your space. The PANS system is scalable and you can have >16 anchors, you just need to obey the rules.

Regards
Zoran

Thank you very much.
Can you give me some information about the PANS system?
Please tell me what is the latest news.

Regards
Wheeler

Please see all docs on the Decawave website which come with DWM1001, and MDEK1001

Thank you very much. :smiley:
I will see these documents.
During the testing process, we found that when the anchor works normally, the app can also see the positioning data of the tag. We have listeners placed close to this place.
In the first case, the listener sometimes does not receive the coordinates of the tag. We determine that the listener will receive the coordinate data of the tag when it is working properly.
In the second case, the listener sometimes receives is “pos, 0,0000,0,0,0,0,0,00”.
However, in both cases, the listener will return to normal after power-on again.
I want to know if you have seen this situation.
Regards
Wheeler

Listener receives Tag’s Group Poll messages. They contain the last position estimation. If you have Tag connected to a PC and logging over UART/COM port you should also see the same.

If you have output on the UART/COM but no output on the listener, then the Listener is either out of range of the tag and is not getting the Group Poll messages or there is some issue with the Listener mode of operation.

I am not familiar of any issues with the Listener, will do some testing here…

Z

Hello,

if I want to set a listener, but every time I have to manually enter the command “\r\r” and “lec” to enter the listening mode, how to modify the onboard program, let this passive node directly into the listener After power-on, the mode receives data from the surrounding tags. There is no reference to the program?

Regards

Wheeler