Synronization of two UWB3000 Module for use with 4 antenna

Dear Friends,

In a particular project, i am going to use DW3000 series UWB modules to use with 4 antenna array. I know that we can use 2 DW3000 IC on a one board syncronized. But i do not know how to sync two dw3000 ic. Is there anyone who can help me?

Regards.

your question is not clear, did you mean …that we can use 2 DW1000 IC on one board… ?

In general, I know that 2 DW3x20 can also be synced in the same manner as DW1000.

But. looking at your question, I worry about a misunderstanding of DW3000.

What is your application core concept?

Hello Alliv,

I know that, DW3x20 ICs supports two antennas with PDOA option. I want to use 4 antennas on same evaluation board. For using 4 antennas, i need to sync two DW3x20 ICs so i can use 4 antenna. But i could not know how to sync two DW3120. So yes, i mean to use two DW3000 on one board friend. Thank you for your reply.

Regards.

Did you know how to syncronization

Hi alliv.
I also want to sync 2 DW3220 but failed.
I cpoied the schematic and codes from BETA_PDOA_KIT, but I still didn’t get the right POA from 4 antenna. Each of the DW3000 still have a random POA difference.
Is there any other things needed to be noticed?
Best Regards.

Just to explain something what I know.

The way PDoA was done in DW1000 Beta PDoA kit using Sync is just to clock devices from the same source, and because DW1000 was not able to do AoA out of 1 chip. So, you sync 2 chips to run synchronously; then on RX each delivers its portion of diagnostic information, based on Ipatov sequence. Out of that information, and because DW1000 were clocked from the same source, Beta PDoA Kit provided the method to calculate the AoA between 2 antennas.

The DW3000 chip is different in this respect, it does the calculation of AoA based on the STS sequence. So for DW3000 chip AoA to operate, you must have both Ipatov and STS, i.e. the sts_mode shall be set to 1 (SP1 packets) or 3 (SP3 packets), but both have STS.

As well there are 2 PDoA modes, they do PDoA differently:

PDoA_1 → the phase measured between the Ipatov and the STS (can use plen=64 and sts_len=64).

PDoA_3 → the phase measured between the first half of STS and the second half of STS, works only when STS length is > 256, so use PLEN = 128, STS=512, PDoA_Mode = 3 in this case.

Each DW3000 chip calculates phase in between ports ant_1 and ant_2, the antennas should be placed in 1/2 wave len from each other.

In your experiment, my understanding is that you want to place 4 antennas in the square as below:
chip_1_ant_1 chip_2_ant_3
chip_1_ant_2 chip_2_ant_4

So in this experiment, you can get phases from chip_1_ant1_vs_ant2 and phase from chip_2_ant3_vs_ant4 ← no synchronization of DW3000 chips is needed. you just would get this information as a part of standard in-chip calculateion.

But now you want to get phases as chip_1_ant_1_vs_chip_2_ant_3 and chip_1_ant_2_vs_chip_2_ant_4.

I do not quite sure if this information is available or can be extracted from DW3000 chips in the same manner it was available on DW1000.

So you need to experiment and try to systematically research the topic…

Sorry but I cannot help here more. Good luck and if you solve it, please let others know.