ST Virtual Com Port

[color=#222222][size=small][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi. I am trying to communicate with the EVB1000 using the ST Virtual Com Port

My goal is to use the EVB1000 as a data transmitter and receiver that add ranging capabilities.

I am able to communicate between my computer and the EVB1000 but the USB (Virtual Com Port) communication is really slow. My goal was simply to configure baudrate to a higher speed to fix the problem, but i am figuring out that the ST Virtual Com Port is not really working as i am used to.

It looks that there is no any baudrate settings in the ARM code. In the window’s device manager drivers settings, there is a baudrate settings but it dont seem to work properly since i can write down in that box any value (even an impossible value) and everything seem to continue to work normally.

Also, i tried several terminal and they all have a strange behavior where i can write down any baudrate setting, even impossible settings and everything continue to work fine.

All my observations are pointing out that this ST Virtual Com Port is NOT a regular virtual Com Port but a kind of strange virtualisation where baudrate, parity, control lines and flow control settings does not exists but that it is still compatible with Com Port terminal…

My questions are:[/font][/size][/color]
[list]
[]Is there a way to use this USB port as a regular com port?
[
]Is there a way to configure baudrate somewhere to use this com port?
[*]Do somebody figured this out? Is there any docs on how does this virtual com port driver works?
[/list][color=#000000][size=undefined]
Thank you! and have a good day![/size][/color]

Baud rate comes to picture only when it is finally converted to UART format.

For example, in case of a usb to uart converter, the driver gives an interface to change the uart baud rate of the plugged usb to uart converter.

But in ST virtual com port case, I don’t think you are dealing with uart or the usb protocol is just mounted as a virtual com port so that we can use normal usb to serial / com terminal to access the device. So, there is no meaning for baud rate in this case because the data is already extracted and used inside the microcontroller and is not converted to uart packet.

So, in this case the speed is totally dependent on the usb hardware in the microcontroller, the usb software stack, the implementation, code optimization etc. (from the usb handler side inside the stm32 controller).