Recommendations for Optimal UWB System

Hello everyone, I’m reaching out for advice/recommendation on finding a more suitable device/system for my application due to challenges with my current one. Here are the specifications for my intended use:

1. I require a UWB system with the ability to support multiple anchors and access multiple tags.
  2. The system should not require horizontal alignment between tags and anchors.
  3. Ease of use and compatibility with Raspberry Pi 4 and Python integration are essential.

Currently, my setup involves a DW1000 ESP32 UWB utilizing the thotro/arduino-dw1000 library. However, I am facing difficulties in accessing multiple tags, and there’s an issue with obtaining x-distance data when the UWB tag is not aligned on UWB anchors. In the image provided, my objective is to obtain the desired_range for x-distance data. I am aware that I currently receive data only from the meas_range, and alignment is necessary for the meas_range and desired_range to be equal in order to attain the intended x-distance data.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or recommendations.

As a simple first step flip your anchors upside down, that way the body of the anchor isn’t blocking the RF signal. It’s a minor detail but it will help improve performance if you have steep elevation angles.

To get accurate horizontal distance you either need to assume a constant height or use more anchors and calculate a 3d position solution.
Or I’ve seen people use a barometer in the tag and in the anchor and calculate height difference based on the air pressure differences but that only works with low speed indoor situations.

To use multiple tags you either need some central coordination system to tell each tag when it’s turn to talk to the anchors is or you need some distributed turn taking system which allows each tag to listen for the others and work out when to take it’s turn. The more heavily your using the system the harder this is, a couple of tags with a slow update rate is fairly easy, lots of tags and high update rates gets harder.