Recipe failed

I’m following the directions in the FW guide, trying to flash from Linux via Virtual Box. When I run the example script, the LED on the j-link blinks, so I know I’m establishing a basic USB connection, but it otherwise fails, as shown:

[font=Courier New]~/Documents/dwm/examples/dwm-simple$ make recover
[/font]
[font=Courier New]openocd -s …/…//lib/ -f nrf52_swd.cfg -c “init;halt;eraseall;shutdown”[/font]
[font=Courier New]Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0[/font]
[font=Courier New]Licensed under GNU GPL v2[/font]
[font=Courier New]For bug reports, read[/font]
[font=Courier New] http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html[/font]
[font=Courier New]adapter speed: 10000 kHz[/font]
[font=Courier New]cortex_m reset_config sysresetreq[/font]
[font=Courier New]set_boot_addr_fw2[/font]
[font=Courier New]Info : No device selected, using first device.[/font]
[font=Courier New]Info : J-Link V10 compiled Feb 2 2018 18:12:40[/font]
[font=Courier New]Info : Hardware version: 10.10[/font]
[font=Courier New]Info : VTarget = 0.000 V[/font]
[font=Courier New]Info : clock speed 10000 kHz[/font]
[font=Courier New]in procedure ‘init’ [/font]
[font=Courier New]in procedure ‘ocd_bouncer’[/font]

[font=Courier New]…/…/include/dwm.mak:167: recipe for target ‘eraseall’ failed[/font]
[font=Courier New]make: *** [eraseall] Error 1[/font]
[font=Courier New]-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/font]Any ideas what’s going on here?

Thanks.

Hi Kwiley,

What do you mean by establishing a basic USB connection ? Have you only plugged the device over usb ? Or have you also selected it in the virtual box environment to be active ?

You have to open the tab devices => usb => select the segger device (Otherwise the usb is connected but still interfaced with windows and not the virtual machine.)

Let me know if it helps,
Kind regards
Yves

Yeah. Thanks. I did all that. I presumed the basic connection was confirmed by the fact that the device physically responds to the “make” command. As I said, the LED immediately blinks, indicating that a connection has been established between the computer (and even the virtual Linux environment) and the physical j-link device. Clearly, some sort of communication has established with the device. Why is make failing? There is no useful error feedback, as you can see from the session transcript above. Other than unplugging and plugging the device repeatedly, it isn’t clear what path to take forward from here.

I’m probably going to start hacking the build scripts to dump various debugging data and messages, but before I pull up my sleeves on seemingly low-level and tangential approaches like that, I was wondering if anyone here might have some more obvious things to try first.

Thanks.

In addition to the response above, I can also see the following:

[font=Courier New]$ lsusb
[/font]
[font=Courier New]Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1366:0101 SEGGER J-Link PLUS[/font]
[font=Courier New]Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet[/font]
[font=Courier New]Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub[/font]

This doesn’t surprise me. As I said in the first post, the LED on the device blinks when I issue the command, so it’s clear that a basic underlying USB connection has been made. I just don’t know what to do about the error I’m getting.