NLOS application experiences ?

In an indoor environment, it is difficult to always keep a tag in LOS of anchors. For example, a wearable tag, being blocked by body on one side. I have read DECAWAVE app notes on NLOS. However, in many indoor situations for our project, the standard algorithms like 2way TOF and TDOA will not give satisfactory results.

I wonder if anybody has used technologies like fingerprint, Kalman filter, etc. to get better results. Any links, leads, experiences, and success stories to share in dealing with NLOS? Thanks in advance. This forum is very helpful.

Jin

Hi Jin,

It is true that in some application the tags will not be in LOS conditions with all the device surrounding. It is essential to deploy a UWB RTLS network efficiently, so you always have LOS with at least 3 anchors.

Typically, the body will shield less than 90 degrees of the tag visibility and the tag should be able to range with 3 anchors most of the times. Also, the technology is robust against moderate NLOS and even though there will be an impact on accuracy, you will still be able to get a position, most of the time with a better accuracy that what can be offered by other technologies such as wifi or ble.

I would recommend you to get a MDEK1001 if possible as it will allow you to deploy a fully working UWB RTLS network very quickly. It will help to easily estimate and observe the impact of NLOS on performance.

Thank you,
Kind regards
Yves