Missing Documentation

We bought the MDEK1001 System for a research project.

Initially it worked out of the box quite impressively. However, it is obvious that some functionality is not documented in the MDEK1001 Kit User Manual.

1. What do the two buttons do? One is labelled reset, however, when I press it nothing seems to reset at all. I run the Android app and I can press reset as much as I want nothing changes anywhere. So what does it actually reset? The pdf does not even mention that button? The other button is labelled “User”, which without any information about it is even more cryptic.

2. In chapter 6 the UI of the Android app is explained mostly. But two things are just left out entirely. One is “Responsive Mode”? What is it? What does it do? Why do I want to use or not use it? The other one is “Location Engine”. Again: What does it mean when I check that box or not? The frustrating part is, that in the pdf those two are listed but then it seems whoever wrote the manual was out of motivation to write a single word about it. It literally looks like this:

*If in tag mode: *

• o STATIONARY DETECTION: Enables/disables motion sensor operation. If disabled, then the stationary update rate will not be available. *
  • o RESPONSIVE MODE: *
  • o LOCATION ENGINE:*

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback.

1:The Reset button does exactly that, it is connected to the Nordic MCU reset pin. If the MDEK1001 is programmed with PANS you should see some LEDs blinking. Pressing the Reset button and keeping it pressed the LED activity should stop with the exception of the RED J-Link LED, D20.
The User button in PANS is used for Bluetooth WakeUp, if you write your own code then you can decide its use - hence the name User button.
The buttons are mentioned in the UM, see below snapshot
I think you need to look at the rest of the documentation for DWM1001 - for example the DWM1001-DEV_Datasheet.pdf

2:
Location Engine - enables/disables the LE function in a Tag.

Responsive Mode - Take a look at the DWM1001-System-Overview-2.0.pdf, page 19.
The tag can support two modes, when Responsive mode is on, then the Tag does not go to LP mode, it consumes more power as a result but the system is more ‘responsive’. When Responsive mode is off, then we have a lower power Tag, see page 20 for more details.

Thanks,
Ken