Mininum pins to enable DWM1001

I have 8 DWM1001 modules, plus one DWM1001-dev board. The dev board comes up fine on bluetooth when I power over USB, but so far my DWM1001 standalone modules haven’t appeared on the network.
What is the minimum sets of pins to connect to get the DWM1001 to power on and announce itself on bluetooth? I don’t have a carrier board for the DWM1001, so I’m just soldering pins on the side to test. I had thought that just GND and VCC would be enough, but that didn’t work, so I added a pulldown from RESET to GND in case there is no internal pulldown. Still no luck with that.
If I understand correctly the DWM1001 should come pre-flashed with a firmware that allows it to be configured over bluetooth, so I expected I’d just need to add a battery at 3.3V to get a working anchor that could be configured using the android decawave app. Maybe that is not correct?
Next step if I can’t get this working is to get some carrier boards make, probably using this design:

but if I can just use these “out of the box” with a battery that would be ideal.
Here is a photo of the current test setup:
Google Photos
Cheers, Tridge

Great to see that you have received some of the new certified modules!
The latest modules (marked with FCC and CE logos) are now shipped blank. So you will have to get the HEX file for the DW site and wire up a J-Link or similar and program them.

ahh, it would have been nice if the datasheet mentioned this.
The current datasheet says:

regarding loading the firmware:

can you tell me exactly which pins are needed for programming, and which pins are needed at runtime? Once a firmware is on, is it just GND and VCC that is needed, or do we need the pulldown on RST?
What would be really nice is if there was a press-on programming harness available.
Regarding the j-link, can I use the j-link on the dev board to program the standalone modules? (much like on the stm32 discovery boards you can set a jumper to program the built-in stm32 or an external one).

related question, are the SWD pins on the DWM1001 3.3v tolerant? The datasheet says the core is 1.8v, but I see in some of the logs people have posted here that j-link is showing vref as 3.3v.
The reason I ask is I’m thinking of getting the j-link edu mini adpater for flashing the DWM1001, but the edu mini doesn’t have jumpers for the logic level, it is fixed at 3.3v.

The DS is updated but just was not posted yet.
Here it is attached.
DWM1001_Datasheet.pdf (1018.0 KB)

It is possible to use the Dev board J-Link to program the module.
3.3V is ok.

thanks! (You might like to fix sections 1.5 and 2.1.3 though, which both still say its pre-loaded without the caveat for the C version)

great! Is there a document on how that is done?

Thanks for the DS feedback.

No, I do not have a document on that. You will have to do some DIY and hack the Dev board to bring over the SWD pins, Power and GND. The DEV and Module schematics are on our website.

I now have successfully programmed a DWM1001 using an edu mini. For anyone else wondering on how to connect it up to program it with minimal pins, here is the working setup:
Google Photos
Under Linux I programmed with the following command:

JLinkExe -device nrf52832_XXAA -if SWD -speed 1000 -autoconnect 1 -CommanderScript load.jlink

with this in load.jlink:

loadfile dwm1001-flash.hex
exit

On the edu mini you need to connect 3 pins:

• Pin1: Vref
  • Pin2: SWDIO
  • Pin4: SWCLK

On the DWM1001 you need:

• Pin1: GND
  • Pin2: SWD_CLK
  • Pin3: SWD_DIO
  • Pin12: Vcc

I connected both VRef on the edu mini and Vcc on the DWM1001 to a 3.3v pin on a USB serial adapter. The edu mini and DWM1001 have common gnd via the USB hub.

2 Likes

I have , similar issue , I’ve ordered DWM1001 module, but that came instead DWM1001C module. Is this model no longer available?

I also have quetion about DWM1001 module, if I just powered on the device using battery 3.3 vdc, can it detected by DRTLS Manager on smartphone or MDEK1001 Listener?

DWM1001C is the certified version of the DWM1001. Please read the thread you just posted to.

The DWM1001C modules are shipped blank. You will need to conect up the required pins and program a suitable SWD debugger or get yourself a DWM1001-DEV that has the J-Link On Board.

Hi @AndrewTridgell is the reset functionality working for you by connecting to the GND. In a situation where I switch off BLE & Responsive mode, to enable the BLE communication again, I was thinking of using the RESET pin, but it doesnt seem to work.

Hello,
After programming with jlink, were you able to connect to the android software with pc shell without any other hardware with this board?
What is the output of the module? Does it calculate the location itself?