Jamming Immunity on DW1000

Hi,

Has anyone here worked on providing immunity to their DW1000 based devices against jammers currently available in the market? What measures have you taken electrically/mechanically?

Cheers!

Hey Hamza,

yes, we are starting to work on immunity of the DW1000 to in-band and out-of-band interference.
What kind of jammers are you thinking of (narrowband, wideband, cross-technology interference,…)?

BR,
Bernhard
Graz University of Technology, Austria

Hey Bernhard,

Good to hear someone’s working on the interference. Actually, my team’s more interested in tackling intentional targeted jamming our devices may face in unknown hostile environments. For that we have time hopping and other measures on the processing front, giving partial immunity. Now we are working on complete immunity to sweep jammers among others, and shielding from possible EMP attacks.

Hey Hamza,

this sounds very interesting. Do you already have published results?
Unfortunately, at this stage I cannot help you as we are currently focusing on (static) narrowband interference and their co-existence with UWB transceivers.

BR,
Bernhard
Graz University of Technology, Austria

Hey Bernhard,

Actually our work is focused on collaboration with a partner, and we have some strict deadlines to meet in terms of putting up a prototype for now. We do have a couple of publications planned for the results we have. More for the future. Thanks nonetheless!

Cheers!
-Hamza

Dear Hamza,

this is a very late reply to your post.

We recently started working on this topic, especially on intended attacks on the PHY channel used by the DW1000. Time hopping and polarity scrambling are very promising tools to increase immunity. Additionally, we are working on ideas using unique physical parameters that seem to be accessible with the DW1000 in conjunction with the used controller. If you are still interested, I would be happy for further discussions!

Best regards,

Bernhard
Johannes Kepler University, Linz, Austria