Is using a Listener is the best option than using Android App?

Good day everyone!

We are new to this device and we want to ask some things that could help our setup. We’ve read threads on this forums related to our question but we felt there is some answers we want to know for ourselves.

So here we go, we’re in a semiconductor company and our goal is to setup the RTLS that can track our hardwares inside the test floor. Currently we are testing the device on our office and we mount it on our posts. At first, we’ve setup 4 Anchors with 1 to 2 tags and tracking it with Android App. It is working but we’ve noticed that the coordinates that are appearing on our android is not accurate. On our previous setup, we’ve used 6 anchors with 1 tag and Android App. At this point, it is not working well. Our target is to setup more or less 45 anchors and 45 tags in our test floor. What is the best option to collect the accurate data location of those targets and store it to our database? Is it by using a listener in a VM Ware? Or by using listener in a Raspberry? Or just by using an Android App?

Thank you in advance.

With Release 1 - PANS SW, the tag ranges to nearby anchors and sends location estimate to an Android App (DRTLS Manager - over BLE), and also sends the same in the Group Poll message (which Listener can receiver - over UWB). The Listener can then output this info over UART to e.g. PC. Listener will hear any tags which are within its UWB range. Android App will display updates from any tags within BLE range.

There is Release 2 which will give UWB network capability, so the tag will be able to send the location to nearby routing anchors and then they will forward it to gateways and onto the cloud etc.

At the moment (with R1) you could use a number of Listeners to get the data and output to local PC’s then write some application which can then forward this on (over IP) or save it locally/log to a file.

Thanks zoran for your answer! :slight_smile:

Can I ask when is the Release 2? Also, what is the maximum range of a Listener? Lastly, what is more convenient to use for the Listener, via VM ware? or via Raspberry?
Sorry for many questions. We appreciate your help! Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

Hi YMCA,

Release 2 should be delivered around mid Q2.

The Listener collect data from tags over UWB, it has to be in line of sight with at least one anchor and the tag in order to receive the data properly. The range will highly depend on the environment. I’d say 30-60m (large difference but it really depends on the environment so hard to say.)

What do you exactly mean by VMWARE ? For the range, any serial connection will do the job so it can be RBP, Windows computer over teraterm or a script connecting to the serial port (python is easy for example)

Thank you,
Best regards
Yves

Thanks for your reply Yves!

I meant Virtual Machine. What is the best option between the two? Run it in RBP or run it in Windows computer over a Virtual Machine. Currently I’ve tried it in Oracle VM Virtual Box. At first I am doing fine, but when I’ve opened the code, there are so many errors. So I thought that it might work better on RBP. So we’re planning now to buy an RBP. What might be the problems that are causing those errors?

We appreciate all your help guys! Thank you so much!

Hi YMCA,

Well you don’t really need a virtual machine to connect to the listener.

You just need to setup a serial connection to the virtual com port associated with the listener when you plug it to a computer over USB. In windows, it can be done with putty or teraterm. In linux, you can use a shell and minicom.

You can also create a python script and output the UART to a file.

Thank you,
Best regards
Yves

Hi Yves,

By following the instructions from the dwm1001_firmware_user_guide, I’ve tried to open the source code of the device by using Oracle Virtual Machine and Eclipse IDE and it appears that there are errors. Moreover, within the UART Shell mode, on the last step, the “dwm” is not appearing. I’ve followed all the steps and tried it many times but its not working. What are the possible cause of this?

Also, may I ask if it is possible to output the location history of multiple tags by creating a Php script?

Again, thank you so much for your shared knowledge. :slight_smile:

What came of this routing anchor feature?

Hi @Rass
there is no Routing anchor feature.

Cheers
JK