How to achieve the best accuracy in a small environment?

I want to localize a robot vehicle in a small area of 2x2m. Currently I use three anchors, which are arranged in the same plane as the tag. The anchors are laying on the ground but are more than 15cm away from the walls.

The issue is, that I get an accuracy of just 20-30cm. And if I move the tag, the measured values are going crazy. I am using the serial port with the lec command.
Do you have an idea what I can improve?

Hi Patrick,

I would actually think 20/30 cm accuracy is quite good for such a small area.

A few points to consider to improve accuracy:

• Keeping the anchors at the ground level will most likely reduce accuracy. Safer to have a 15-20cm clearance around the whole device (and antenna)
  • UWB generally offers >10cm accuracy in one dimension. Within a RTLS system this error may accumulate bit other 2 or 3 dimensions so it is not surprising to have an accuracy between 10 and 20cm.
  • When using a 2m*2m area, the geometric dilution of precision will be quite poor and consequently you cannot really expect to have a very good accuracy. Note this is pure geometry and not really linked to the DW1000 or UWB technology. I know it may be controlled by the application requirement, but I would recommend to space anchors further.

Thanks
Yves

Hey Patrick,
When creating and defending your “Lines of Sight” between antennas Anchor Height will almost always be your friend. Imagine how light-like the 5Ghz signal are, and then try to eliminate reflections and blockages through your deployment.