DWM3001CDK reading CIR through UART data rate

Hi all,

I understand this question has been asked before: The speed of reading CIR value - #5 by jleng. But are there any updates regarding reading data through UART port. Specifically, we managed to read CIR successfully. However, we can only read the accumulator data via UART port at ~2Hz. Each read of accumulator data (992 bytes) takes about 500ms. We are hoping to do this much faster. Would the J-Link RTT USB port afford higher data rate?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Abhishek,

Can you be more specific on the hardware and software you are using ?

The CIR is read from the UWB transceiver over SPI. How fast you can retrieve it from UART will depend on the implementation on the host application.

Usually, we recommend not to dump the complete CIR but only a number of indexes before and after the first path ; this is the interesting data in the CIR and it allows to increase the throughput. Invite you to refer to our application notes our Qorvo website as well as our documentation.

Kind regards
Yves

Hi Yves,
Thank you for getting back to me. Here are the details of my setup:

1. I am using the DWM3001CDK development kit.
  2. The onboard firmware is a variant of the DWM3001CDK-DW3_QM33_SDK-FreeRTOS stock firmware that comes with the SDK.
    After reading the CIR over SPI from the UWB transceiver, I managed to send the CIR over USB/UART to an offboard computer at 30-40Hz. I had to tweak the buffer size and the baudrate to do so.
    Right now I’m operating at 1000000 baudrate. Occasionally, I can get to 50Hz but it’s not very consistent.

I will experiment with extracting only a part of the CIR – like you mentioned, a few leading and training samples near the first path.

I’m also looking at RTT protocol to see if I can increase the through put rate. I’ll keep this ticket open to report any findings.