DMW1001- Dev with Raspberry Pi4

Hello guys, I have a challenge for my project now which I really need to find a proper solution. At first, I need to find a way for indoor tracking and navigation for my robot, and then I find our UWB with DMW 1001 is the best way for now. But then the DMW1001 will only work with Raspberry Pi3B meanwhile my robot will run with Raspberry Pi4 as the main control unit. Any advices for me in this case? Should I connect my listener to Arduino and then connect it to Pi 4 or using Pi3B and PI4? I appreciate your advices and help if possible.

Hi @meomap887
if you need only the TN location you can setup listener and connect it directly RPI4 and listen the serial port.

Cheers
JK

Hi @leapslabs hats great. omg, that’s what Im looking for. Can I contact you personally for more information ? It’s really important to me with this project.

Hi,
feel free to ask here in the forum. Other user might be also interested.

Cheers
JK

@leapslabs So, in the manual with the mode that we use the listener, Can you explain more about this sentence "• In this mode, only position is printed (not individual ranges)
" .So how can I find out the distance?

Hi @meomap887
you cannot get the distances, you can only get the locations. If you want to get distance you need to setup a proper gateway & write a mini app into the TN that will send distances via IoT data.

Another way would be to connect to the TN via BLE a and then you can get distances.

Cheers
JK

@leapslabs , do we have any detail instruction on this case, I read about this in user manual seem that it go with the gateway instruction. When I connect the tag to PC I can get the distance from that’s tag to the other anchors. Is that right? Can we do the same as Raspberry Pi4? Thanks for your patience.

Hi @meomap887
first of all for a gateway function you need RPI 3B. The 3B+ might work also via WIFI with !!!disabled ethernet!!!, but I cannot guarantee it.

Normally the TN send to BN only the position and not ranges which you need. You need to write your own application that will send ranges to BN instead of the position. I have rechecked the dwm examples and there is an example application called dwm-range-iot which should to the work for you - just remove the “if (range_request == 1 && cnt_data_out < 1000)” condition so it could send the ranges all the time.

Cheers
JK

1 Like

@leapslabs It is more complicated than I thought. Because I need to use the Raspberry Pi4 as the main controlling unit. For now, I have 3 anchor on the robot, and tag will be with the user and one more dwm1001-dev will be installed with the Raspberry 3B to play as a gateway. We don’t use the listener anymore since it just sent the location not the distance. My main purpose is the distance from the tag to other anchor so I can calculation the position of the user compare to the robot such as the distance, and which direction. After setup the gateway, I need to find another way to send the distancing data to the main controlling unit of the robot in this case is the Raspberry 4 for navigation. Please give me some advices.

I’m using Python for my project so I dont see any example Python from the manufacture but if anyone can help me on this, I really appreciate that.

Hi @meomap887
please note that 3 anchors are the absolute minimum for TWR scheme to calculate TN position . If there will be some glitch in and the TN could not reach one of the ANs then you would not be able to calculate TN position.

I see here two ways:

1. Setup a proper BN and use the dwm-range-iot example in the TN. This will send the distances from the TN in IoT data. You can read this data via MQTT running on the RPI 3B. I would believe that there are many plugins into the Python to do that.
  1. If the TN is close to the RPI4 you can connect to TN via BLE and read the needed data via BLE. IN this case you dont need the gateway. Check the forums, I believe that there are few python samples laying around.

Cheers
JK

1 Like