Difference between ranging rate and update rate

Hello

I was looking into battery esDWM1001_Battery_Lifetime_Estimator.xlsx (346.0 KB)
provided by decawav.
There is one option for ranging rate. I am confused about it. Is it the update rate that we set for the tag or something different?
Kindly suggest.

Thanks & Regards
Asmita

Hi Asmita,

Ranging rate and update rate are the same thing, how often the tag will range to anchors to calculate a position.

Thank you,
Regards
Yves

Hello Yves,
Thanks for the response. I have few more questions:

1. Has the battery estimator released for PANS 2?
  2. Is the time period of 20 msec standard for all dwm1001?
  3. Can you explain the background calculation between no. of hours obtained and the current consumed. This is because I have understood the current consumption calculation but when dividing the effective mAh of battery by the current consumed , this calculation is different from that obtained in battery estimator excel file.

Kindly suggest
Thanks & Regards
Asmita

Hi Asmita,

1. The battery estimator isn’t exactly matching PANS2 architecture and is still based on R1, but you can expect a similar power consumption with release 2. It will actually be better because R2 is using single-sided two way ranging (while R1 was using double-sided two way ranging). At the moment I don’t think there is a plan to update the battery life estimator. Please keep in mind it only give an indication of the battery life.

2. I am not sure what you mean by 20ms period ? Are you referring to the sleep hump time ?
    This battery life estimator is strongly liked to PANS running on DWM1001C. With a custom firmware you could have very fiddferent power consumption figures (better/less depending on application)

3. Which part of the calculation needs to be clarified ? The number of hours active must must be provided by user. An average current consumption is calculated based on this time and the DWM1001C power consumption profile.

Thanks
Yves

Hi Yves,
Thanks for your response. I am not using custom firmware, it’s the same PANS running as provided by decawav.
The 20 ms period that I mentioned is related to accelerometer, as per graph given in battery estimator excel, the accelerometer is getting on for 1.5 ms and off for 18.5 ms, And also the UWB ranging measurement is for 9.6 ms as per graphI wanted to know the reason behind selecting these time duration.

Thanks & regards
Asmita

Hello @Yves_Bernard_Qorvo

I am unable to understand how scaling of average current is being done.
Kindly suggest.

Thanks
Asmita

Hi Asmita,

1. Regarding the accelerometer, the 20ms is indicative, the objective is to estimate the current consumption of this components under typical behavior. The total consumption of the accelerometer is negligible in comparison to other components, so I wouldn’t focus too much on it.

2. The 9.6ms is an estimate of time during which the DW1000 will be transmitting/receiving in PANS R1. This is based on the software architecture of release 1. This value would be less for R2 be cause the architecture was modified from double-sided two way ranging to single-sided.

For the scaling of average current, what part don’t you understand ?

Thanks
Yves

Hello Yves,
Thanks for your response. As per calculation I understood the average capacity in 1 ms is 0.02 mAms but how it is being scaled when ranging time duration is changed? As far as I observed, it’s like this 1 msec has been scaled to 1 day, i.e in 1 day (24 hours of ranging tme) average capacity is also coming as 0.02 and accordingly the respective proportionate has been taken for different duration of the time range.
Kindly let me know if this is correct or wrong.

Thanks
Asmita