Developing on the nrf52832 with DWM1001 board and CubeMX

For this use case I suggest looking into the DWM1001 examples. Note that programming these will remove the PANS firmware from the module. The PANS firmware can later be reprogrammed with the provided binary. Also note the specific somewhat “weird” way in which the CIR data needs to be read.

The PANS system is not really designed for “simple” communication between 2 devices, it is a system designed to provide a scalable RTLS solution that can also carry some additional sensor etc. data.

I have read some threads on this issue and it seems it is only possible to send data between the chips with a MQTT Broker. Is this true or would it be possible without one?

I don’t think so, but I’m not sure TBH. It should be possible to send data between 2 nodes using the firmware API, though it should be noted this data will be sent as part of the “super frame”. Using a broker it is possible to send and receive “IoT” data to and from tags more easily, but it should be possible with firmware API calls as well. Both devices will send or receive during specific time slots in the “super frame”, meaning it is a bit hard to use for the low-level functionality you described.

In the API Guide, many of these functions used in the example are not explained in the guide. Is this intended?

Thanks for noting this, this does indeed not sound right. Could you give some examples of missing documentation?