Definition of "Typical Receiver Sensivitity"

Could you tell me how to define “Typical Receiver Sensitivity” of Rx Sensitivity Characteristics on Table 8 and 9 in DW3000 Datasheet? The received signal power could be measure by using a power meter which shows physical quantity of UWB signal power. However, we normally measure the value by following a method defined in the UWB certification process like POS PEAK, MAX HOLD and ZERO SPAN settings on a spectrum analyzer. Obviously, these values are different.

Thank you veru much.

Hi @ma-san
for the UWB certification process you need to measure transmitting power and not the receiver sensitivity.

For sensitivity measurement you need a test device (TD) which transmits at known power and programmable attenuator (ATTN) and Device under test (DUT). Typically you do a conducted measurement (in JP for example it is mandatory) so the TD is connected to ATTN and ATTN is also connected to DUT via coaxial cable. Then you start transmitting defined amount of messages from TN → ATTN → DUT and observe how many messages was received by DUT. Once you have 1%
packages loss then you have the receiver sensitivity value (transmitting power + ATTN value + loss in cables and etc). (If you transmit 1000 messages then the sensitivity is recorded when you receive 990 messages).

Cheers
JK

Thank you JK!

Yes, you are right. I didn’t explain the details of the measurement environment as you wrote. I’m trying to check PER performance of my mesurement environment which consists of two DW3000 circuit boards and a step attenuator inserted between them. But I see that the PER performance has several dB difference from the Rx Sensitivity Characteristics on the data. So I’m wording if my understanding of the received signal power is correct.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you very much.
ma-san

Hi @ma-san
you need to get everything calibrated via SA. There is a fluctuation in transmit power / receiver sensitivity per device and also you need to know the attenuation of your cables/connectors/setup. There is a plenty of room for few dB loss. So if you are just few dB off then it might be OK. It is really easy to get some loss because of badly connected cables and etc.

Cheers
JK

Thank you for your comments.