Chan non-linear magnetics

I like the ease with which non-linearity can be defined for inductors and transformers in QSPICE compared to LTspice. Are there any plans to add a non-linear hysteretic core model (e.g., John Chan et la. in IEEE Transactions On Computer-Aided Design, Vol. 10. No. 4, April 1991), or some others means to add hysteresis?

4 Likes

I’m interested in adding hysteresis to my circuits in hopes I can approximate the measurements I’m getting in my circuits (using actual transformers). Do you know of any easy way to extract the hysteresis characteristics from your transformers and inductors?
Thanks,
Carl

1 Like

I would try setting up a B-H curve rig using an amp and soundcard, and importing the wav files into LTspice. The Python utility for Qspice can import wav files I hear, but having a working installation of python is a difficulty in itself.

Can you point me to any documents (or YouTube videos) that show this process? I don’t even know where to start.
Thanks,
Carl

Oops, I got confused about which thread I was in. The LTspice groups.io is a great place to find the information you’re looking for. In the files there are B-H loop examples.