Can I Use Only 1 Anchor and 1 Tag to Measure Distance Beetween Them?

Can I Use Only 1 Anchor and 1 Tag to Measure Distance Beetween Them?
And If It Is, How?

Using DRTLS Manager didn’t work. The tag wasn’t showing up the grid. I tried many versions and other android phones. But, When I went to Grid and then to Position Log, It Seemed that Distance measurement was happening, because Position Log Was Returning an Object with distance.

Then I Tried Doing it with UART Shell. I Setup Tag and Anchor(Like It is shown in quick deployment guide 3.2), But i couldn’t find the information about how to exctract distance data. Les and Lec were returning Nothing.

So please, If someone can, help me.

Using only one anchor and one tag to measure the distance between them is possible, but it may not be the most accurate method. The DecaWave DW1000 chip, which is used in the tag and anchor, uses a Time of Flight (ToF) technique to measure distance, which requires a minimum of two anchors to provide a precise distance estimate.

However, if you are still interested in trying to measure the distance with only one anchor and one tag, you can use the Position Log feature in the DW1000 chip to obtain an estimate of the distance between the tag and anchor. The Position Log feature records the time of flight measurements and returns an object with the distance estimate.

Regarding the UART Shell, to extract the distance data, you need to use the commands “les” and “lec” to read the ranging data from the tag and anchor.

It’s possible that the problem you’re having is related to the configuration settings of the tag and anchor, you may need to check that the settings are correct and that the tag and anchor are communicating properly.

Also, it’s worth checking the firmware versions of your devices, if they are not compatible, it could cause issues with communication.

Overall, it’s challenging to measure the distance with only one anchor and one tag, and it may not be the most accurate. If you’re looking to achieve more precise measurements, it would be better to use more anchors to increase the accuracy of the distance estimate.

The Firmware Was updated to DWM1001_PANS_R2.0.hex with J-Flash Lite.(The One From Sites Sources and Docs V11 Documentation). I Did everything Like it was shown in quick start guide.

Also, How Can I Check If They Are Communicating Properly? What is the shell command.

Hi @xvichie
@Keonte45 answers are not correct.

With PANS you can get just a distance between anchor and the tag (Im using it that way sometime, we call it proximity feature) but you need to set the anchor as an anchor initiator. After that you should be able to observe distance between ANI and TN with the les command. You can not observe the distance in the DRTLS manager as it expects the location data (3D) and not just the distance.

Cheers
JK

Thanks, I Made it work. But Also Wondering, Can I Get Distance From Anchor Module. Les seems to only work from tags shell. And Also, How Can I Use the data in some kind of programming language(like python, javascript, etc.)

Hi @xvichie
no you can get this data only on TN. But if you have only two nodes then you can just switch them - TN will be on the fixed place and ANI will be moving.

Sorry I dont have any samples for you. But try to search the forum, there are many examples laying around. Please see the DWM1001-API-Guide.pdf (in the MDEK1001 package) and if possible use the binary API as a module to program interface. Almost everybody tries to bend the shell which is supposed to be only as human interface.

Cheers
JK