About DW3000‘s DC-DC,I lost my way

Hi ,Qorvo team

“Section 6.2” indicates “The highest efficiency powering scheme” with “Battery”, VDD3 using 1.6V ( :thinking:Buck circuit).

But “Section 7.2 ” indicates “Low-capacity battery”, VDD2 and VDD3 using 3.6V ( :thinking:Boost circuit).

If use CR2032 power supply. What should I choose:
1.Use BOSST
2.Use BUCK
3.Use both BOSST and BUCK (Use the Step-Up/Down DC-DC Converter)
4.Neither BOSST nor BUCK(Section 6.1 Lowest Bill of Materials (BOM) powering scheme)

Please help me analyze the characteristics of choose1, 2, 3 and 4.

How much capacity is classified as “Low-capacity battery”?

Thanks very much!
K.K

Hi @KOv01
this is actually very complex question and it purely depends on your use case. If you are going to do only TDOA blink you might be fine without boost and buck, but you will need a bigger capacitor bank to “survive” the current peak that CR2032 cannot handle. If you want to do some complex task like TWR, FIRA you might need to add boost/buck + capacitor banks to have enough energy to do TWR and etc.

For this you need to evaluate your current profile and then you need to decide what power scheme is best for you - there is no generic answer.

Cheers
JK

Cheers
JK

Hi, JK

Can QORVO’s Q-Tag V2.0 reference circuit implement TWR?

Is there any other reference for portable trackers besides Q-Tag?

THX

Hi @KOv01
I have no experience with this version. I dont see it why not no to use it as reference design. As I have mentioned it heavily depends on your power profile. I would recommend you to measure it first and then evaluate this dev kit / schematics. Powering UWB device from CR2032 is a tricky task as the CR2032 can provide you very little energy.

If it is possible consider to use bigger battery like CR 2450 which have more energy inside.

Cheers
JK