A question about the DW1000 power supply

Hello, I am currently working on the DW1000PCB module. I would like to ask you a question.Does the power supply need rf-ldo?I am switching from 5v to 3.3v to power DW1000 and stm32.If required, I hope you can recommend an LDO chip for me.I can’t thank you enough.

If you are already switching from 5V to 3V3, then you don’t need any additional LDO. Just make sure you have large enough capacitor. If you are looking for a LDO from 5V to 3V3, then I like XC6206 series, XC6206P332 in your case.

the maximum output current of XC6206P332 is 200mA,but when dw1000 stay in rx mode ,it need almost 200mA. and stm32 is also need some current.so iam afraid XC6206P332 is not enough for dw1000 and stm32 both.Change a large current DCDC or LDO is better.

the maximum output current of XC6206P332 is 200mA,but when dw1000 stay in rx mode ,it need almost 200mA. and stm32 is also need some current.so iam afraid XC6206P332 is not enough for dw1000 and stm32 both.Change a large current DCDC or LDO is better.

Hi Apricity,

I don’t know what you have as a power supply but it’s generally desirable to use a DCDC switching regulator for maximum power efficiency and battery life. Just be careful if using a PFM/PWM power-save regulator on the DW1000 3V3 supply. I’ve seen that you can sometimes get high standard deviation in the range results which I suspect it may be from PFM - PWM switching transients. I have seen this from several DCDC manufacturers. Maybe there’s a solution that I never found so please share if you have time to investigate!

In general, I would recommend the Torex XC955x DCDC regulators as they perform well and are cheap.

[color=#333333][size=small][font=Arial,]Hi, S_Carroll.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=small][font=Arial,]DC-DC power supply I used, when my first version of the PCB circuit.[color=#4a90e2]TLV62569,PWM and 1.5mhz were used, but there was a problem in sending and receiving. When I removed dc-dc, the effect was much better when I directly used programmed power to supply 3.3v.[/color]I wonder if it’s the electromagnetic interference from the switching power supply or something else.So I’m going to use LDO for power.However, in the second edition, LDO was not selected well, just simply to see that the current was sufficient. As a result, the transient current of DW1000’s transceiver fluctuated greatly, with poor results, frequent packet loss, and it was estimated that the transmission frequency of VCO deviated.So now I’m going to choose rf-ldo.TPS73601 was selected initially.What do you think?[/font][/size][/color]

Hi again,

If you were using a DCDC in a fixed PWM mode, then I’m actually surprised to hear that you saw problems. I haven’t seen that on any of my own designs. The only thing I can think of is that it could maybe be your layout. Are you following the vendor’s layout recommendations? Also, do you have adequate decoupling capacitance on the DW1000 power rails? The APH001 HW guide goes through the important points when it comes to optimum hardware design.

And you should certainly be getting good results with the LDO. I presume the LDO you have selected can output adequate current for the DW1000, has the recommended decoupling, etc., etc.?

How about your frequency reference? Are you using crystal or TCXO? Is your layout of the external loop filter components good? You should keep the components close to the transceiver IC, use continuous ground plane beneath them for noise shielding, etc.