The de facto standard for power supply of UWB devices

Hello everyone.

I have a question about power management for UWB devices.

I am thinking about localization with UWB devices in a factory environment.
So, what is the de facto standard for powering UWB devices (mainly Anchors)?

Battery power and PoE power are considered as possible methods, but what is the most convenient method in terms of management for installation in a factory?

Hi @Naoya
I dnt think that there is any standard related to this. From my point of view is most common PoE + 12/24V power line. But in each factor they will do a speciál cabling for you so it mostly depends on you. They will not let you to connect your stuff into their power network…

Cheers,
JK

1 Like

PoE+ is a non declared standard to install TDoA Anchors (Mostly for the majority of commercial systems that I know) also in factories is very common to have a restriction in the cable type usually UTP CAT6A (For example PANDUIT Brand), also is needed that the connectors should be CAT6A.

In other hand for TWR Anchors it depends of your system architecture, usually in TWR you have a listener that is the only device that needs ethernet communication, so you can power this device with PoE+, and for the anchors you can use a high quality industrial power supply like this

Omron Power supply

with a power rail of 12V/24V or even 48V (it depends totally of the DC-DC Converter inside of your anchor we use 24V).

IS not your question, but talking about the ethernet network please avoid to connect to an existing network, create an isolated network for your RTLS system, if you need to connect your system to an existing network of the factory do this trough your server and use a firewall.

1 Like