Send data at the maximum rate (without superframe)

Hi,

I would like to only send data between two decawave device at the maximum rate possible (without using the decawave superframe, if possible). How can I do this? What’s the easiest way to do this?

Thanks

If you use the decawave chip purely as a radio interface to send and receive data packets then it’s possible to send a couple of thousand packets per second. The upper limit would be around 8-9,000 but that could drop significantly depending on the packet size, data rate, range required and how you coordinate the transmit times.

Exactly how you achieve this will depend on the framework you are using, you can’t do this using the PANS software. You need to use something that gives you direct control over when and what packets are sent.

1 Like

Thanks for the fast answer AndyA,

How Could I do this ? I’ve just seen that the API doesn’t provide any way to stop using the superframe. I’m confuse on how could I manage to do this.

On an other note, I’m trying to figure out what’s the consumption of the device while transmitting at a known data rate. I’ve seen the transmit/receive consumption of the device within the document “DWM1001 Datasheet” But there’s no data rate indicated with this. This graph show the power consumption while the tag is doing ranging but I don’t know the data rate. Knowing the data rate of ranging measurement would just solve my problem here.

As with any firmware type project, if the API doesn’t do what you want then use a different API.
Decawave provide the PANS positioning system as a pre-compiled and certified system. I’m guessing that is what you are using. This system is designed to be a generic positioning solution but isn’t very flexible outside that use case.

They also provide c libraries that can be used to access the radio chip more directly, this would allow you to use any message structure you like, change the data rate, change the power etc… This gives more flexibility but requires more knowledge of how the system is working and your end product will no longer be certified for sale unless you perform the testing yourself.

Or they provide the user manual for the chip and a number of application notes, between them they contain everything needed to write your own system from scratch. This gives the maximum possible flexibility and performance since you aren’t bound by any API or assumed structures. But it is also the most work and the highest risk since it’s all too easy to miss one little detail hidden away in the manual and end up with a system that doesn’t work as expected.

Power consumption doesn’t depend significantly on the data rate, it only depends on the time the transmitter is on. With a lower data rate the transmitter is on for longer.
The excel spreadsheet linked here: DW1000 Power Calculator not working can calculate the power consumption (and time) for a given packet size and speed.