Ranging with external PA system

Is there an algorithm/method/hack one would recommend to combat accumulator wrap around issues and implement incorrect first path timestamp filtering - when ranging over 300m? Is there any mechanism and/or I/O available to figure out how many times the accumulator wraps around for a specific reception?

To refer to the corresponding text in APS009 APPLICATION NOTE OPERATING THE DW1000 UNDER LAES REGULATIONS document:

4.4 Receiver accumulator wrap-around

The accumulator in the DW1000 receiver that is used to accumulate and analyse the channel impulse response of the received signal is a fixed length circular memory buffer that is designed to accommodate 1 µs of channel impulse response i.e. a distance of 300 m in a Line of Sight channel. If a signal is received over a path that is longer than 300 m this can cause the accumulator to “wrap around”. This can give incorrect and confusing first-path timestamp results. A location system using power amplifiers in mobile tags should incorporate filtering to remove such incorrect first paths.

Can anybody elaborate more on the following text in APS009 APPLICATION NOTE OPERATING THE DW1000 UNDER LAES REGULATIONS document? We want to understand under which conditions DW1000 ranging accuracy is poor when the system employs an external PA to reach communication range longer than 300m.

4.4 Receiver accumulator wrap-around

The accumulator in the DW1000 receiver that is used to accumulate and analyse the channel impulse response of the received signal is a fixed length circular memory buffer that is designed to accommodate 1 µs of channel impulse response i.e. a distance of 300 m in a Line of Sight channel. If a signal is received over a path that is longer than 300 m this can cause the accumulator to “wrap around”. This can give incorrect and confusing first-path timestamp results. A location system using power amplifiers in mobile tags should incorporate filtering to remove such incorrect first paths.