Range error due to antenna angle/orientation

Hi Leo,

I did see APS011 and have a few questions about it as well.

1. Table 2 in APS011 (with the correction factor for a range of receive signal values) only shows about 19cm of variation for a 64MHz PRF (which we are using) - from -11.0cm to +8.1cm. That wouldn’t account for the 80cm of variation we are seeing. Is there an extended version of that table with a wider range of receive signal levels? If not then I don’t think range bias correction based on Rx power level is the only source of the variation in range.

2. The method given to calculate receive signal power in section 3.4 of APS011 is different to the method given in section 4.7.2 of the DW1000 user manual. One approach seems to use actual measurements from the receiver (in the user manual) while the other seems to be a theoretical value based on knowledge of the TX power and the calculated distance between the antennae. It seems to me that it would be more preferable to obtain the receive power level by reading it from the device rather than attempting to calculate a theoretical value based on time of flight calculations that are subject to other sources of error (such as NLOS signals and reflections). Would you agree? Do you think there is any benefit in comparing the two different methods of Rx power calculation?

3. If we apply a range bias correction based on received signal power, should we also apply a range bias correction based on the calculated distance (as I’ve seen done in DecaRanging source code from DecaWave)? If so, should we apply the distance based range bias before calculating the receive power level?

Thanks for the assistance,
Mike