Powering DWM1001 Module

I’m attempting to power the DWM1001 on a custom board using a 3.7v 350mah Lipo. I’m using a JST connector and wanted to make sure I’m powering it nicely. The DWM1001-Dev shows a voltage regulator and two capacitors before the VCC pin.

Does anyone know the part numbers or specs of those, or can provide some advice on what to include for safe power handling?

It shouldn’t be too tricky, you’ll need a regulator of some sort to drop the voltage down to the DWM1001’s allowed range and a bulk capacitor or two on the power input is always a good idea but since the module includes power supply regulators you don’t need to do anything too complicated.

Assuming efficiency isn’t your top priority and you’ll not be in a cold environment then a 200mA capable LDO should do the job. Check the part you use has a low enough dropout that you aren’t going out of regulation when the battery is low. The regulator will normally have recommended minimum capacitor sizes, unless it says otherwise ceramic capacitors not electrolytics.

If you need to run somewhere cold then you need to be more careful, the voltage from Lipos drops a lot at low temperature, at that point you may not have the headroom to run an LDO and still stay within the input range of the module.

Thanks Andy, we are running in a cold environment so I’ll have to test some battery options.

That does make it harder. The DWM1001 power input is 2.8-3.6.
A full battery will be over that 3.6 limit so some sort of regulator is required.
A good LDO for this current range will have a drop out of 0.3V.
Assuming you want to allow a little margin that means the lowest input voltage to the regulator that you can get away with is 3.3V.

A Lipo at room temperature is 4.2-3.6V until the last 5-10% percent of the charge and is basically dead at 3.3V
It seems to vary a little battery to battery but shutting off at 3.3 will cost you 10-20% at 0 C and a lot more as the temperature goes down from there.

If battery life at low temperature is critical then you probably need to look at a switching power supply. But it depends on what you consider to be low temperature and what battery life impact you consider to be reasonable.