Power consumption difference between chip and module

[color=#222222][size=small][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Hi,
I’m currently working on the DWM1000 module. I don’t quite get the difference of current draw between the DWM1000 and the single DW1000 chip (as stated in both datasheets).

According to the DWM1000 datasheet, it looks like it’s just the DW1000 chip, an on-board antenna (probably a balun too), a crystal, and a DC/DC.
But DWM1000 datasheet states RX current at 160mA whereas the DW1000 chip only draws 30mA.
The same goes with the theorical TX current consumption with 140mA vs 70mA.

Is there an explanation of why module consumption is so much higher than the single chip ?

Thank you in advance,
Best regards,

Romain Berrada[/font][/size][/color]

Hi,
I’m currently working on the DWM1000 module. I don’t quite get the difference of current draw between the DWM1000 and the single DW1000 chip (as stated in both datasheets).

According to the DWM1000 datasheet, it looks like it’s just the DW1000 chip, an on-board antenna (probably a balun too), a crystal, and a DC/DC.
But DWM1000 datasheet states RX current at 160mA whereas the DW1000 chip only draws 30mA.
The same goes with the theorical TX current consumption with 140mA vs 70mA.

Is there an explanation of why module consumption is so much higher than the single chip ?

Thank you in advance,
Best regards,

Romain Berrada

Hey Romain,

where do you have this information from that the DW1000 chips draws only 30mA in RX mode? I did quite some power measurements with the EVK board, but I think there is no setting with just 30mA current consumption.

BR,
Bernhard

It is what is stated in the DW1000 datasheet (the chip not the module) in the DC characteristics.

Hey,

ah yes I remember that. Maybe someone from Decawave has to comment on this value, I do not know what this value means. But in my measurements I have never got values as low as 30mA. The values are significantly higher. In fact, the DW1000 consumes more current in RX than in TX mode. Check out also Table 25-27 in the DW1000 data sheet. These are more realistic values.

BR,
Bernhard