Multiple-room setup recommendations for MDEK1001 Development Kit

Hi, I’m looking for recommendations on multiple-room setup with the MDEK1001 Development Kit. My setup includes 2 rooms connected by an L-shaped hallway. I’ve set up 4 anchors in each room. I’ve noticed that the tracking of the tag degrades heavily (drifting tags in the DRTLS app) in the hallway, when the tag loses line of sight to the anchors.

• Is there any guidance on how to set up the space when there are multiple rooms separated by walls? Ex: Do certain number of anchors need to be in line of sight?
  • What is the maximum number of anchors supported with MDEK1001 Development Kit? The kit comes with 12 boards, but can I purchase more boards to improve tracking?

Thanks!

Hi @yuzupon
in general the UWB like line of sight and any obstacles could affect the signal propagation and the direct path might be attenuated and longer path (with some reflection form walls/objects) could be used for calculation that will lead to position errors. I recommend you to add some anchors into the hallway to be able track the nodes there.

• Is there any guidance on how to set up the space when there are multiple rooms separated by walls?

It depends on use case, in general add anchors in to the hallway. I believe that the drifting is caused by reflections - the signal might not get trough wall but trough the doors and reflect from wall to the tag.

• Ex: Do certain number of anchors need to be in line of sight?

For PANS (TWR ranging type, PANS support only TWR) you need to have at least 3 anchors in range (no line of sight needed, but it is always better).

• What is the maximum number of anchors supported with MDEK1001 Development Kit? The kit comes with 12 boards, but can I purchase more boards to improve tracking?

Tricky question. You can easily have up to 30 anchors without keeping anything in your mind. You can also have hundreds of anchors with achieving the cluster sizes - see the documentation. So you can buy more MDEKs and increase the number of anchors.

Cheers
JK

Thank you, JK! I’ll give those a try.