INIT ERROR

Hi All,

Has anyone fixed an init error? (EVB1000 boards)
Some debugging shows that the instancereaddeviceid() is returning 0xFFFFFFFF.
I have also checked that S2 switch seems to be working (and is set to all ON).

Thanks,
-Ashutosh Dhekne

Hello, first you can check if SPI is working:

volatile uint8 dataA[20] = {19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 11};
volatile uint8 dataB[20];

dwt_writetodevice(0x21, 0, 20, &dataA[0]);
dwt_readfromdevice(0x21, 0, 20, &dataB[0]);

Compare dataB with dataA. If they are equal, then you have the SPI working, and the DW1000 is working also.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked it on the boards with the INIT ERROR. All of them failed this test. They all had dataB filled with 20 0xFFs. On a good board, this test succeeded.

Is there any further debug I could perform? Also, one of the boards works intermittently when lying flat on the ground (and dies at random times while running).

Do you know what could have caused this problem in the first place? The INIT ERROR developed over time. Not all boards failed simultaneously.

Thanks again,
-Ashutosh

I got similar problems due to faulty solderings. Perhaps if lying flat all contacts are made, and when lying otherwise some contacts are broken.

Which solderings did you have to fix? Solderings on the DW1000 or on the S2 DIP switch?

Oops. My case was different. It was a self made board. If it is a evk1000 from decawave I do not think this would be the case. In my case I had to reweld the dw1000

[color=#1f497d][size=small][font=Calibri, sans-serif]INIT error could be power (1.8v) , but also the fact that the S2 switches don’t make (proper) contact.[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#1f497d][size=small][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Could you toggle all S2 switched off/on. You may need to do this a few times.[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#1f497d][size=small][font=Calibri, sans-serif]You should hear a “click” when contact is made.[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#1f497d][size=small][font=Calibri, sans-serif] [/font][/size][/color]
[color=#1f497d][size=small][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Anyways, if the 1.8V is gone faulty.[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#1f497d][size=small][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Could you change the jumpers of J2 and J3 as indicated in picture attached. (see also schematic page 1) [/font][/size][/color]
[color=#1f497d][size=small][font=Calibri, sans-serif] [/font][/size][/color]
[color=#1f497d][size=small][font=Calibri, sans-serif]I also send you the schematic , with the BOM on the last page.[/font][/size][/color]

Thanks a lot, Leo. Will try these suggestions and report back here.

-Ashutosh
[hr]
Perfect! Thanks a lot, Leo.

I changed the jumpers J2 and J3 to connect 1-2 and the boards are working now. So for some reason it seems that VDD1V8 is gone bad. Is there a known cause for this problem? Is there something I am doing wrong since I have 5 boards with this problem.

Again, really appreciate your help.

-Ashutosh

5 boards giving INIT ERRORS is bit odd I. Unless if the 1.8V regulator has been damaged or knocked off all together from all the boards
The 1.8V regulator is positioned on display side, top right corner

On the other hand, you could bring the boards back to it’s original state (both switched and SW)
Just make sure that all the dip switches, and I mean all the dipswitches are set correctly (eg as when removed from the box) and make sure that original SW is loaded on the boards (eg version 1.05, 210 or 2.25)

See attached pdf for the settings (in case you don’t remember)

Thanks for the information. The default out-of-box configuration is definitely good to keep handy. It turns out, on two of my boards, the 1.8V regulator seems to have been indeed knocked off!

You are awesome, Leo, to have thought of that.

-Ashutosh