DWM3000EVB for Apple NI Demo - System unstable

Hello,

I am using DWM3000EVB with nRF52840DK for Apple’s nearby interaction demo.
I flashed the binary file using J-LINK to the board and download Apple’s demo app on its website. I followed the instructions on the DWM3000_Nearby_Interaction_QSG.pdf provided by Qorvo.

I got the demo working a few times means getting the distance measurement between my iPhone and the DWM3000EVB. However, it seems that the majority of the time the demo will be stuck at the “Accessory session started”, as shown in the screenshot below.

And here is the log output of the DWM3000EVB:
00> app: Fast advertising.
00> app: Connected
00> app: Notification is enabled
00> app: App requests accessory config data
00> {“TWR”: {“R”:1,“a16”:“0x91fe”,“S”:“ERR”,“D cm”:0}}
00> {“TWR”: {“R”:1,“a16”:“0x8cc5”,“S”:“ERR”,“D cm”:0}}
00> app: Connected
00> {“TWR”: {“R”:1,“a16”:“0x5f90”,“S”:“ERR”,“D cm”:0}}
00> {“TWR”: {“R”:1,“a16”:“0xa035”,“S”:“ERR”,“D cm”:0}}
00> {“TWR”: {“R”:1,“a16”:“0xd861”,“S”:“ERR”,“D cm”:0}}
00> {“TWR”: {“R”:1,“a16”:“0x8cf1”,“S”:“ERR”,“D cm”:0}}
00> {“TWR”: {“R”:1,“a16”:“0x84ca”,“S”:“ERR”,“D cm”:0}}
00> {“TWR”: {“R”:1,“a16”:“0xf0cd”,“S”:“ERR”,“D cm”:0}}
00> {“TWR”: {“R”:1,“a16”:“0x8ca9”,“S”:“ERR”,“D cm”:0}}
00> {“TWR”: {“R”:1,“a16”:“0xeaca”,“S”:“ERR”,“D cm”:0}}

Anyone can help me with this? Appreciate it in advance!

Hi Yunzhil!
Can you share your iPhone model and iOS version you are running (Settings→General→About and click on “Software Version” to show the eight digits hash number)?
Did it always behave like this?

Thanks!

Hi Carlos! Sure, my model is iPhone 11 and its software version is 15.0.2 (19A404).

I would say it might work 1 time out of 10 times trying. And it seems that it will have a higher chance working if I unplug my nRF52840 from the power source for a while. Also, if it got stuck once, no matter how many times I restart the demo app, it will always get stuck and I can’t get the distance measurement.

Please let me know if you need any other information! Hope you have some ideas of what’s going on here.

Hi Yunzhil!
I have an iPhone 11 here and I’ll try to reproduce the error. If don’t, I can at least recommend my iOS version.

The second info you gave is interesting.
I had problems recently using the nRF52840-DK “User USB” as power supply, but usually, the board resets right after “<app: App requests accessory config data>”.

If you want to try something, you can check the nRF52840-DK power supply, maybe change it from the “User USB” to J-Link?
In short, change the USB cable to the J-Link connector (J2) and the “nRF power source” switch to the centre position.

You can find more info on how to do this on Nordic Infocenter:

Best regards!

Thanks Carlos!
To the power supply point, I am using the J-Link already. And it occurs the above mentioned problem.
I think I have also tried the nRF USB, but the problem remains.

BTW, I also tried my apple watch series 7 with the DWM3000, the problem is exactly the same. Sometimes it works, but most often “Accessory session started”.
I guess it’s probably something wrong with the DWM3000 side.

1 Like

Hi Yunzhil!

Just a follow-up, I tried few things, like changing the power supply and the previous firmware version but I couldn’t reproduce your error.
I used an iPhone 11 running iOS 15.3 (#19D5040e), Apple NI demo app, the same boards as you, nRF52840-DK with a DWM3000EVB, the current firmware version available from Qorvo website and also the previous version, just to make sure.

“I guess it’s probably something wrong with the DWM3000 side.”

The few problems I had with NI was about the nRF52XXX-DK power supply, if you happen to have a spare nRF52840-DK or nRF52833-DK, it’s worth a try.

Please let me know if you have an idea how to reproduce the problem.
Best regards!