DWM1001-DEV Range

Hello

I bought the DWM1001-DEV development board. I used the sample codes it works fine. The maximum distance it can measure is approximately 25 meters. What should I do to increase the distance?

Hi @polat
with PANS firmware and within the FCC/CE regulation you can not do anything. It is already working on its maximum allowed power level.

As an alternative you can write your own SW where you can use different RF setting which will provide longer range.

Cheers
JK

Thank you for your answer. Do you have a module that works at higher distances that your company has produced? Best Regards.

As leapslabs explained the issue it’s the hardware, it’s the firmware.

The hardware is capable of longer ranges but that requires different radio settings. As soon as you change the radio settings you invalidate the FCC/CE certification and require you to re-certify with the new settings.
There is a trade off between range and speed of communication, the PANS firmware is intended for smaller indoor spaces and so prioritises transfer speed allowing more tags/faster update rather than larger areas and more range.

Can you tell me the radio settings for the receiver and the transmitter that I need to do to go longer distances?

Hi @polat
please see this datasheet: APS017 APPLICATION NOTE MAXIMISING RANGE IN DW1000 BASED SYSTEMS: You can download it here: Important Notice - Qorvo

Quick note: for PANS firmware you cannot change the radio settings.

Cheers
JK