DWM1001-DEV minimum pins necessary to flash

Hello Doug,

1. As far as I know, there is currently no board with spring connector allowing to flash the dwm1001. I know people have been reusing the dwm1001-dev board to flash module but it requires to solder components.

2. Yes the list is correct. You can refer to the schematic below to see how it is done in dwm1001-dev :

Thank you,
Regards
Yves

1 Like

Thank you for your response Yves. There is a method to do this as it turns out - you can get 1mm circular pin headers and space them about 0.010in too close together, then when you slide the module in it connects. I have built a breakout board to test this theory :slight_smile:

Unfortunately currently no one in the USA stocks the DWM1001-DEV, which I was going to use as my programmer. Can I use any off the shelf J-Link debugger such as the Segger J-Link Base?

http://shop-us.segger.com/J_Link_p/8.08.00.htm

Thank you,

DougM

1 Like

I can confirm that regular J-Link probe works.

Spitballing here, but if you need to program a bunch of these, you could order some samples of FSI-120-03-G-S and prototype up 2, 20-pin rows at the correct spacing to fit the DWM1001
https://www.samtec.com/products/fsi

J-Link Base should work but I’d wait for someone from the DecaWave team to confirm.

1 Like

This worked by the way - using the 1mm male headers about 0.010" too close together. I was able via the Segger J-Link to connect to and flash the DWM1001 module.

There is only 1 trick - on the SWD connection you need to set pin 1 of the Segger J-Link to the target V of the 1001 (3v3). Everything else was exactly as we discussed above.

Thanks,

DougM

tylerwsymmetry

Thanks for the idea - I created below from DWM1001-DEV and it works great, now can easily flash DWM1001 blank chips.

2 Likes

Good one Tyler!

We will have a programming breakout board coming out towards the end of the year - DWB1001-4. This will support easy programming of the DWM1001 and DWM1004 modules. It will not have J-Link-OB just the standard 10 Pin Cortex-M header, some LEDs and Serial to USB. Perfect for prototyping, debugging, bring-up and programming small quantities.

@drive Is there any possibility that you could ship it to me (at a cost of course)?
I wonder how Decawave did not provide a solution for an easy way to flash the firmware.
I do not know if it is only me, but flashing 5-6 chips and doing so much soldering-desoldering is so difficult.

Hi sargyrop, I can’t ship it because we need it for our own use ongoing. Looks like Decawave will release a better solution in a couple months.

Any news regarding the DWB1001-4 by any chance?

They are currently in production at our supplier, so early Q1 we should have stock.

great! how to get on a waiting list?

@Kenneth_Dwyer_DW
Do you know what the price will be?

I believe it will be around $60 per unit at Distributors.
Also this board is not for mass production programming, purely for prototyping the DWM1001 or DWM1004 modules.

Thank you Kenneth!
The price sounds fair to me if it allows an easy flashing procedure. I am not looking for mass flashing per se but I need to flash 20, maybe 50 entities for now without soldering them onto a -DEV. At the end of the day those DWM1001 get 2 wires soldered on and are connected to a power source. I just want to avoid the solder-it-flash-it-for-a-second-and-desolder-it.

They are currently in production at our supplier, so early Q1 we should have stock.

Hi @Kenneth_Dwyer_DW Any news? :slight_smile:

See the thread here:

1 Like

Thanks @Kenneth_Dwyer_DW

@drive
With your modified -DEV board, does the DWM1001 chip just set on those pins, or does it lock into place somehow? Thinking of doing the same thing as you did.

And, any tips on removing the soldered-on DWM1001 the -DEV board comes with?

@borges
the chip just sits on top, have to push it down with your finger to get a good connection - it gets us by to do some quick firmware flashing, would be painful to hold in place if you plan to connect through serial and run a series of commands though. Removing the solder was a pain, we used a heat gun and solder iron and lost some of the small capacitors while doing it.

There’s probably a better way to build something on a separate board using those same 20-pin parts and solder some jumpers from the DWM1001-DEV (or use a J-link mini connector), but the one we did works good enough for our needs so I havn’t bothered to work out something different.