Decawave Capabilities

[color=#000000][size=xx-large][font=sans-serif]Hi there![/font][/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=xx-large][font=sans-serif]I’m looking into the capabilities of the decawave platform for location tracking of assets outside and inside a large facility. The building has many walls made of concrete and rebar reinforcing, large steel machinery and structures, multiple large pipes and electrical conduits, and underground areas throughout.[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=xx-large][font=sans-serif]I have several questions that I’m hoping you guys can answer and help me gauge if this is the best technology to explore for my use case:[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=xx-large][font=sans-serif] - What are the penetration capabilities through concrete and rebar walls for one tag? For example, how many 1’ thick walls could a tag/anchor pair still accurately operate through?[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=xx-large][font=sans-serif] - How scalable is this setup (max number of tags and anchors)? Average use case will need to track between 500-2000 tags at any given time. How many anchors would be needed for this setup? Can the technology support 50+ anchors?[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=xx-large][font=sans-serif] - Can you give us more information on the configuration/geometry of the antennas? They appear to have a unique shape and I’m wondering if other shapes would perform just as well? Eventually, I’d like to fit the tags into a small form factor about the size of a small pager. I know the SOC is very small…could the antenna be shrunk so tags can be made the size of a coin that we could adhere to items?[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=xx-large][font=sans-serif] - Would this system work with directional antennas so that a group of anchors covers one area and another set of anchors covers another area?[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=xx-large][font=sans-serif] - Can the system be configured into a “mesh network” topology where the tags act both as a tag and also as an anchor? They would communicate to fixed anchors in order to triangulate their position and if certain tags were not reached by some anchors, they could locate themselves in relation to the tags around them?[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=xx-large][font=sans-serif]I know there’s bunch of questions here, but your insight would be greatly appreciated![/font][/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=xx-large][font=sans-serif]Thanks in advance![/font][/size][/color]

Please find comments below in bold

Hi there!

I’m looking into the capabilities of the decawave platform for location tracking of assets outside and inside a large facility. The building has many walls made of concrete and rebar reinforcing, large steel machinery and structures, multiple large pipes and electrical conduits, and underground areas throughout.
I have several questions that I’m hoping you guys can answer and help me gauge if this is the best technology to explore for my use case:

• What are the penetration capabilities through concrete and rebar walls for one tag? For example, how many 1’ thick walls could a tag/anchor pair still accurately operate through?
    Concrete with or without rebar could be a challenge for UWB as it would be a challenge for of other technologies.
    But please have a read of our Application note APS006 part 1. It describes how the challenge could be managed

• How scalable is this setup (max number of tags and anchors)? Average use case will need to track between 500-2000 tags at any given time. How many anchors would be needed for this setup? Can the technology support 50+ anchors?
    How many Anchors you’ll need for 500-2000 tags depends on other requirements related to RF configuration. Like selected channel, Datarate, update rate required and for example battery life.
    110kb/s will give you a further range then 8.6Mb/s, but your battery might run out more quickly.
    The technology does support 50 Anchors and more.
    I suggest you read our IC user manual, chapter 9 Operational design choices when employing the DW1000 on page 209.

• Can you give us more information on the configuration/geometry of the antennas? They appear to have a unique shape and I’m wondering if other shapes would perform just as well? Eventually, I’d like to fit the tags into a small form factor about the size of a small pager. I know the SOC is very small…could the antenna be shrunk so tags can be made the size of a coin that we could adhere to items?
    The antennae we supply with our EVK1000 and TREK1000 are omni-directional UWB antennae, suitable for channels 1,2,3,4,5,7. It’s for that reason these antenna are the size they are.
    To minimise the antenna size , one should select only one channel for the antenna . For example our DWM1001 (released next month) the antenna is only about 10x5mm as it will only support channel 5.

• Would this system work with directional antennas so that a group of anchors covers one area and another set of anchors covers another area?
    DW: Yes, no problem

• Can the system be configured into a “mesh network” topology where the tags act both as a tag and also as an anchor? They would communicate to fixed anchors in order to triangulate their position and if certain tags were not reached by some anchors, they could locate themselves in relation to the tags around them?
    Yes, this is possible. But you’d need to develop your SW and algorithm/Solver by yourself. On mesh networks please see APS007

IC user manual, APS006 and APS007 can be downloaded from https://www.decawave.com/support

I know there’s bunch of questions here, but your insight would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
[color=#1f497d] [/color]